Friday, January 6, 2012

Home-made Christmas: My father-in-law's blanket

I made our niece, Karlee, a quilt for her birthday. It took me 2 hours to pick out what fabric and colors I wanted on it. It takes me forever to pick out fabric for any project. Anyway, I used fleece on the back instead of cotton because I wanted it to be cozy-cozy for her. And, I didn't want to use batting, because, personally, I hate the way it makes blankets feel. Kind of stiff and not comfy.

 Chuck, my father-in-law, loved her blanket so much I wanted to make him one. The fleece was his favorite part, so I knew I had to use it for his.


This was actually a project that I stayed up until 4 in the morning working on. I cut the squares and sewed them all together that night... I actually thought I could complete the whole thing that night. I'm sewing naive.


Since they surprised us by coming down to visit, I hadn't taken pictures of it yet, because I didn't think I'd be giving it to him. But, I'm glad they did, because I was so excited to give it to him!


So excuse the kitchen floor pictures!

I used fleece for the back, 2 layers of flannel on the inside (in place of batting) and some corduroy on the front along with flannel and cotton fabric.  

It's heavy and thick and hopefully perfect for him to wrap up in when he's taking his naps downstairs!

1 comment:

  1. You did an AMAZING job Jess!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete